Saturday 31 March 2018

# Success Stories

Success Story - Bill Stern



Bill Stern - My Story

12/6/17 I had surgery
after the surgery, till Xmas, I was put on Cipro which gave me the GERD and mild gastritis. I was diagnosed with the GERD right away and joined this group to gain the support of others. Made an appt with GI doc but he could not see me for 3 weeks argh. I had daily heartburn and each night I thought I was going to just die.

Regular DR put me on a PPI which I took for 5 days..
I felt it made things worse.
Came across an article in one of the groups that said check out this book and get on an elimination diet.
You can check it out too
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1101905581/ref=mp_s_a_1_1...

Got the book read it cover to cover I was desperate to stop the daily pain.
at this point, I was having 10+ tums each day easily.
a Bottle of Pepto every few days.
The book basically seemed like everything I was eating was wrong. except for a few healthy options.
no coffee, green or black tea, citrus, tomato products fried foods, onions, processed foods.
wow, that did not leave much... But then I started to worry about downing a bottle of Tums every 10 days.

So I reversed it,,, look at what I can have instead of what I can't

an item that was alive or grows you can have.
good quality items only,,,,
grass-fed beef, wild caught fish, organic itemswith one ingredient.

by this time went to GI doc he put me on H2 Pepcid 40 mg am &pm
started DGL Ultra for digestion. and a probiotic.

Had an endoscopy and colonoscopy diagnoses confirmed GERD and gastritis.

after 4 weeks on the elimination diet, the heartburn ended.
I manage the burping with gas-x which works by making the air bubbles in your gut smaller and allows to reabsorb them.

The last couple of week I have begun adding things back into my diet.

Like I was having a grass-fed beef burger with honey mustard dressing which did not bother me.
Now I started having Martin's potato rolls with the burger and even had some ketchup with no ill effects.

Still no raw veggies except celery... I steam everything.

Started back on having steaks, lean nothing with marbleized fat. even had some A-1 on it and no ill effects.

even started experimenting with coffee and tea... very mild at first.
today I took 2 Lipton tea bags and put it in my coffee maker where the coffee goes. with 10 cups of water and ran it. It made a nice pot of weak tea... little honey and it was great to have something new.

During the elimination phase, I have only had room temp water and fennel hot tea.

I make all my meals fresh.... well except for the time I made a whole 12-pound turkey and my wife and I picked at it for 10 days. I got all the white meat and she got all the dark.
Also got one of those whole turkey breasts.... w picked at it over a week and just tossed it.

then deal is to eat 5-6 small meals each day.
about every 3-4 hours
trying to have a protein with each meal.

Red meat was off the menu for the first 6 weeks so was reduced to eggs, white meat chicken and turkey, seafood. and white chia seeds happen to be a complete protein.

so almost every day I have white chia seeds in my oatmeal. which is nice as it's not only a complete protein but it's also high in fiber.
white flour is processed so I find I do much better with seeded rye.
for a while there I was cutting a slice of rye in half and having the burger on that  :)

Now I am getting more into seafood
Boiled shrimp, muscles
sauteed in 100% extra virgin olive oil
salmon, carp, flounder, octopus, tilapia, sea bass

no white potatoes, but red potatoes ok, best to go with a yam

when you go shopping look at the store most of the things you can have are not in the middle they are along the walls.

other nice things that help me. low-fat vanilla yogurt, and Walmart's cinnamon applesauce. cool the burn or to put something in my tummy when empty. My go-to foods... At this point, I rather have some yogurt then pop some pills.

pasta - regular pasta has to much sugar.
look for Barilla pasta it has a lower GI index and less sugar. easier on your tummy.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment